Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Breakfast Stuffed Acorn Squash

This past weekend, we celebrated Friendsgiving here in Cincinnati. It was, as always, so much fun and so delicious. It's nice to celebrate with friends. I had a hard time at first, when we moved to Cincinnati. It wasn't that far from home, yet I felt that it was impossible to meet new people. Luckily, that didn't last too long. I made instant friends when I started working at Caribou Coffee that year, and I added to that as I got to know J's colleagues.

We ate many glorious dishes at Friendsgiving. I made the turkey, using the Rosemary Apple recipe from my Thanksgiving Roundup. Oh man. Yeah you guys have to try that one. There was salad, stuffing, mashed potatoes, pies...just about everything you can imagine. Mmm Mmm.

Anywho... onto the recipe. I made this squash last week. It was a little chilly outside, and this dish definitely hit the spot. I don't think I've ever made anything with acorn squash. It smells a bit like pumpkin when you cut it open, but it's a little sweeter in taste. Man was it good. I loved the breakfast flavors that accompanied. This recipe is from paleOMG. This lady has some great stuff!



Breakfast Stuffed Acorn Squash
from paleOMG
serves 2

Ingredients

  • 1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
  • 1/2 lb ground turkey
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp sage
  • 1 tsp parsley
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/4 tsp celery salt
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • 2 eggs (I used medium eggs)
Directions

1.   Preheat the oven to 375 F.

2.   Place the squash halves cut side down on a baking sheet sprayed with coconut oil. Roast squash for about 25-30 min, or until soft.

3.   While squash is cooking, add some ghee to a pan and saute onions and garlic over medium-high heat. Once the onion starts to turn translucent, add turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add spices towards the end of cooking the turkey.


4.   Once squash is done cooking, remove from the oven & let cool for a bit. Remove the inside of the squash, leaving the skin in tact.


5.   Add the squash to the meat mixture & cook for a couple minutes (2-3 min)

6.   Scoop the meat and squash mixture back into the squash skin. Hollow out a section, and crack the eggs into the squash.


7.   Cook in the oven for about 15 min, or until your eggs are cooked to your desire. Sprinkle some extra parsley over the top.

8.   Serve and enjoy!



Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF