Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Takeout-Style Coconut Chicken


I think I've always liked coconut. I was never a huge fan when I was younger, but I've always liked the taste. However, after going on the Whole 30, I am slightly obsessed. I love using coconut oil for just about any dish. It gives food such a nice nutty flavor.

This takeout-style way of making chicken, is delicious. I love that you make the chicken brown and crispy first. It gives it a "fried" taste. It's definitely one of those trickster meals. Give it to someone, and they won't even know it's healthy!

High Heels and Grills is where this recipe originated (I tweaked it a little to make it Paleo-friendly). I came across the site on Pinterest. Pinterest is awesome in that way. I think it's so cool that you can discover so many sites, just from a few recipes!

Takeout-Style Coconut Chicken
adapted from High Heels & Grills
serves 4

Ingredients


  • 1 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut in to 1" pieces
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 c. tapioca flour
  • 4 egg whites
  • 1/4 c. coconut oil
  • SAUCE:
  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 1/2 c. coconut palm sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Directions

1.   Salt and Pepper the chicken pieces. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.   Beat the egg whites in a small bowl, and put the tapioca flour in another small bowl.


3.   Heat the coconut oil in a skillet.

4.   Once skillet is hot, dip the chicken pieces in the tapioca flour, then the egg whites, and then place them in the hot oil. Be careful, as the oil tends to pop.


5.   Pan-fry the chicken until golden brown on all sides, but not cooked all the way through. I did about half of the pieces first, and then the other half so that I didn't crowd the pan.

6.   When chicken is done, place aside on a plate that is covered in a paper towel. Pat dry.

7.   Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with coconut oil, and place the chicken pieces in one layer.

8.   Make the sauce by mixing all ingredients in a small or medium-sized bowl. Pour the sauce over the chicken.


9.   Place chicken in the oven, and cook uncovered for about 1 hour, stirring every 15 min.

10.    Let stand for 10 min to let sauce thicken. Serve with cauli-rice or veggie side of choice.



Enjoy!

Until next time...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF