Monday, January 4, 2016

HAPPY NEW YEAR! | Instant Pot Corned Beef & Cabbage Recipe

HAPPY NEW YEAR Foodies! Another year has passed, and I must say, it's been a good one. I cannot believe we are moving on to 2016. I feel like it was just yesterday that I was staring at the computer waiting for the world to end NYE circa Y2K. Remember that?

Anywho, I hope you all had a great holiday. It can be rough coming back to work or school or just getting back to normal life after the holidays. I thought I would lighten things up with a new recipe to start off the new year. :)

We had a great Christmas at the Kinder house. We traveled back to Indiana for a couple long weekends with family. We have a nice schedule worked out for Christmas Eve and Christmas that leaves our day stress-free, and we get to see most of our family. We are truly #blessed. I received many amazing gifts this year. My family really knows me. The best gifts that I always get are the "surprises." Every year since I was little, I make my list, but I always ask for surprises! The stuff that I don't even know I want.

This year, J did really well. He got me something that I really didn't even know I needed/wanted. He got me an Instant Pot! Have you heard of these things!? I mean I think I had heard maybe something here or there, but they are all the rage in the Paleo community apparently. They are truly one pot wonders. The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, slow cooker, and even more. I was so pumped about this gift that I have already used it about 5 times in less than a week.

I was particularly excited to break this baby out on New Years Day. Another tradition we have, is eating corned beef and cabbage for good luck on NYD.  So I broke out the (FREAKING AMAZING) Instant Pot, and made the recipe below. Guess what? Delicious. The flavors that came through were just great, and in basically no time, with little work.



Instant Pot Corned Beef & Cabbage
serves 6

Ingredients

  • 1 corned beef brisket (around 4lbs)
  • 1 beer of choice
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1 lb small red potatoes, halved
  • 1 head of cabbage cut in to wedges
Directions

1.   Place corned beef, beer, water, onion, garlic, salt, pepper dried thyme and allspice in the instant pot. Lock the lid, and press "manual." Set time to 90 min.


2.   Once cooking is done, turn the cooker off, and naturally release the steam for 10 min. After that time, quick-release the rest of the steam and remove the meat. Cut as desired. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm while vegetables cook.


3.   Carefully place potatoes and cabbage into the liquid of the pressure cooker. Lock the lid and press "manual" again. Set time for 10 min.

4.   When the time is up, quick-release the steam. Use a slotted spoon to remove the vegetables and serve with the corned beef. 

It's that easy people! Let me know if you have an Instant Pot, and what you would like me to try to cook next! You will probably be seeing a lot of these recipes very soon.


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF