Thursday, August 13, 2015

Taco Night! : Plantain Tortilla Recipe

Don't freak out! The first time I was looking for a way to make tacos on the Paleo diet, I came across a Paleo plantain tortilla recipe from ZenBelly. I saw the title, and I kind of freaked out a little. In my mind, there was no way I could make these tortillas. No way it would work. Sure, this blogger  I was following could make them, but I'm sure mine would turn out horrible.

Well, quite the contrary! I reluctantly tried these out anyway, and was VERY surprised, when they turned out perfectly :) They were also surprisingly easy. A few ingredients thrown in the food processor, and baked for a few minutes. It's actually a pretty simple. And the hint of sweetness from the plantains compliment your tacos wonderfully.

I've made a few different meats to go in my tacos, but after Jeremy made Kalua Pig without me, I was just craving that porky goodness. So I popped some Boston butt in the crockpot that morning. By the time we got home, we could literally smell it cooking from outside the house. SERIOUSLY! All I had to do was cook the tortillas, and we were ready for Taco Tuesday.


Paleo Plantain Tortillas

from ZenBelly
? servings (Depending on how big you make them. This recipe makes a LOT of small tortillas)

Ingredients
  • 3 large plantains (be sure to look for ones with a few spots)
  • 1/3 cup of egg whites (about 2 eggs worth)
  • 3 tbsps coconut oil
  • 1 tsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Directions
1.   Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2.   Peel and chop up your plantains. Put them in a blender or food processor.


3.   Blend until somewhat pureed, then add egg whites, coconut oil, lime juice and salt.


4.   Puree until smooth.


5.   Drop about 2 tbsp at a time onto a baking sheet lined with parchment that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
6.   Smooth out the batter into a circle, using the back of a ladle or spoon. I like to make them into about 5-6 inch circles. They should be very thin.




7.   Bake for about 15 minutes, or until dry to the touch. The edges will start to turn golden brown.



While the tortillas were cooking I made some guacamole to put in my tacos. You can also chop up some toppings while you wait. Onions, tomatoes, spinach, etc...


Be sure to let the tortillas cool, before you add toppings. They should be nice and bendable!



Until next time...


Had to add this adorable photo of the pup! He was begging for some pork ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF