Monday, August 3, 2015

Slow Cooker Kalua Pork

Today, in honor of my husband and I's 2nd anniversary, I am doing a post that Jeremy suggested (and took pictures for!). I am usually the one who cooks, but he is a very talented cook as well. He was cooking long before I ever learned to put together recipes. However, once I started eating healthier, I wanted to be in charge of the meal planning and the cooking.

When either of us is away, while the other is at home, it can be quite hard to plan meals. Cooking for one can be difficult. This last time that I was gone for a few days, Jeremy made one of the best recipes for leftovers. Nom Nom Paleo's Kalua Pork. :) It's also probably the most simple recipe you will ever find. This recipe will probably take you maybe 5 minutes to put together, AND it is so darn delicious. I can't even tell you. The flavors... Ahh.

During my Whole 30 research I discovered Nom Nom Paleo. This blog is a WONDERFUL resource for recipes (tons of Whole 30-compliant) and tips for eating healthy. If you're trying to eat more real, nutritious, natural foods, this website is your guide. Michelle Tam, the creator, is also pretty awesome. She now has a podcast as well, with her husband and kids. If you haven't already, go check her out! Her cookbook is also worth the buy :)



Slow Cooker Kalua Pig
from Nom Nom Paleo
serves 8 (or 2 and is PERFECT for leftovers)

Ingredients

  • 5lb Boston butt roast, or any
  • 3 slices of bacon
  • 1.5 tbsp Hawaiian sea salt
  • garlic cloves (optional)
Directions

1.   Spray your slow cooker with coconut oil spray. Place 3 pieces of bacon at the bottom.



2.   Cut some slits in the meat and add your garlic. You can use as much or as little as you want. (Sometimes I skip this step. It's honestly good either way.)


3.   Salt the pork all over, and add to the slow cooker on top of the bacon. Don't add any liquid!
4.   Turn the slow cooker on low for 12 hours. 


That's it! See!? Super easy.

Let me know what you think!
This can be Whole 30 compliant, if your bacon is made without sugar.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. This time I used a smoked sea salt and it was great as well! This is one of the most simple but one of my favorite meals to cook and consume!!

    ReplyDelete

Print Friendly and PDF