Friday, August 21, 2015

Recipe! : Simple Paleo Fajitas || Bonus Tortilla Recipe

First of all, sorry about the quality of the photos coming up over the next few weeks. My trusty good camera has pooped out for the moment. I'm hoping to get it fixed, but until then, I will be using my iPhone. Hey...it gets the job done right?

I don't know if this has become apparent over my last month of blogging, but I LOVE Mexican food. I mean I love it. I could eat it for every meal (even breakfast) every day. There's so much you can do with so little ingredients.

Another thing I've been loving lately are spices. We have a specialty spice and tea place here in Cincy, and it's literally right down the street from my house. I have so much fun picking up and smelling all of the different spices. I think about how I could use it in recipes, and new ideas to come up with. We also have a Penzey's right down the street. Yep, I'm screwed. Ever since I was little, I have loved spices. The spice cabinet used to be my favorite smell in the world...I'm not kidding...It was my comfort scent...and still kinda is to this day.

The last time we were in Penzey's I picked up their Southwest Seasoning. I was already planning on making fajitas for dinner, and it was a match made in heaven!


Simple Paleo Fajitas
serves 2

Ingredients

For the fajitas:

  • 1 lb of meat (I used a ribeye, but you can use chicken, shrimp, pork, etc...)
  • Penzey's Southwest Seasoning
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 2 large bell peppers, sliced
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil


For the tortillas:
(from Paleo Newbie)

  • 2 eggs, whisked
  • 1 c. full fat coconut milk
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 c. tapioca flour
  • 3 tbsp coconut flour
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
Directions

For the tortillas:

1.   I started with prepping the tortillas. Mix all of the wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl. In a medium mixing bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients.
2.   Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk, until well combined.


4.   Take out a 10" skillet, and turn your burner to medium heat.
5.    Pour about 1/3c. of the batter into the skillet, and let it cook like a pancake. You want it to be pretty thin. You will notice the edges rounding, when it's ready to flip.


6.   Make sure it's browned nicely on each side. Once cooked, transfer to a plate covered with a paper towel.
7.   Repeat with the remaining batter, until finished. Makes about 6 tortillas.

For the fajitas:

1.   In a cast iron skillet, heat up coconut oil over medium high heat (you can add more oil, if your skillet is a little dry). For steak, add the meat and cook for about 3 minutes on the first side. 
2.   Sprinkle a decent amount of the Southwest Seasoning on the side that's facing up. Once the 3 min is up, flip and cook on the other side for 3 more min. This will give you a little pink in the middle. Season with more Southwest, while cooking.



3.   Take the steak out of the skillet, and let rest while you cook the peppers and onions.
4.   Add more coconut oil to the skillet and add your peppers and onions. Again, add a decent amount of the Southwest Seasoning to your liking. I added a fair amount.


5.   Cook until the veggies start to become translucent.
6.   Make up a buffet of toppings, and pull out whatever else you want to on your fajitas




ENJOY!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF