Wednesday, July 8, 2015

New Recipe! / Paleo Chicken Chow Mein

It has been a very busy summer. I mean busy. Just about every weekend, we have something planned. Whether it's in Cincinnati (our current location) or in Indiana (Muncie is home, Indy is where my very best friends live) we have been pretty much booked solid through August, and even some into October. Needless to say grocery shopping has been difficult. I like to go to the farmers market, but when my favorite one is on Sundays from 9:30-1:30p, it's hard to get there. I've been trying to come up with low-key meals that don't take many ingredients and do not take a lot of time. If you'll remember from a previous post... I'm lazy ;)

Anyway, last week, I made Chicken Chow Mein adapted from Little Bits Of. It made plenty of food. I heart leftovers. I mean most of the time, it's just Jeremy and I eating the food that I make. But, I'll make tons of leftovers, so that we can grab some for lunches later on. They are WONDERFUL for lunches during the week. And a welcome break between salads. It keeps me on track health-wise, and it keeps me from buying something at work. Win win!


In this recipe, the noodles are made from spaghetti squash! I don't know if you've discovered spaghetti squash, but when you do, it's an addiction. A fabulous replacement for pasta, spaghetti squash has a sweetness and a crunch that makes it very appetizing. Here's how I usually make mine:

I poke holes all around the squash, and set it in a microwave safe dish. Pop the squash in the microwave and set the time for 14 minutes. I can get a ton of other things done in the meantime. I then, very carefully (THIS SUCKER IS HOT) cut the squash into one inch rings (see picture below), and use my fork to pick out the strands. Cutting the squash this way will make the strands longer and more spaghetti-like.

Photo from eatwithinyourmeans.com

Now... On to the recipe!!

Paleo Chicken Chow Mein
Adapted from Little Bits Of

Ingredients


  • 1lb chicken breast cut into small pieces
  • 1 large spaghetti squash
  • 1/2 c. coconut aminos
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp coconut palm sugar
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 3 stalks of celery diced
  • 2 cups coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage & carrots)
Directions

  1. Prep your spaghetti squash and cook (see directions above)
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, salt and pepper; set aside.
  3. Spray your large skillet (a wok would work really well) with coconut spray (or cooking spray of choice), and turn on heat to medium-high.
  4. Once skillet is heated, cook your chicken pieces until no longer pink.
  5. Add in the diced onion and celery until onion begins to become transparent. 4-5 minutes or so. Add coleslaw mix and continue to cook about 2 minutes, until everything is incorporated.
  6. Stir in spaghetti squash and sauce mixture. Let simmer for a few minutes until all of the food is heated through.
  7. Serve immediately



Enjoy! Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF