Thursday, July 23, 2015

Grilled Tilapia with Avocado Salsa

This particular recipe turned out WAY way better than I ever imagined. The original recipe from The Cookie Rookie had salmon. However, I try to work with ingredients that I already have, so I decided to use tilapia on this one. I love tilapia, but I was afraid this recipe would be a bit bland without the salmon. WRONG! It was delicious! And it was surprisingly filling. I made extra, because I wasn't sure. Plus, it's Whole 30 approved. If you want to know more about Whole 30, check out my last post here.

This recipe is super flavorful. It's fast, easy and really yummy. Plus, it's got the avocado salsa topping. (aka a more limey guac without the tomatoes) Avocados are so good for you. They are full of the really good fats, and probably why this dish was so filling. I love an excuse to use avocado in any dish. Let's be honest... I really don't need an excuse. I eat them like apples sometimes. Alright, enough confessions! On to the recipe! I paired this with some leftover corn on the cob I had in the fridge. MMM!


Grilled Tilapia with Avocado Salsa
adapted from The Cookie Rookie
2 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 pieces of tilapia (if frozen, thaw before)
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • dash of pepper to taste
For the Avocado Salsa:
  • 1 medium avocado
  • 1/4 small red onion chopped
  • Juice from 2 limes
  • 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
  • Salt to taste
  • dash of garlic powder to taste
Directions

1.  Mix the salt, cumin, chili powder, paprika, onion powder and pepper together in a small bowl. Rub the tilapia first with the coconut oil and then with this seasoning mix.



2.   Preheat your grill. I used my George Forman grill, but you can use a regular grill or even a grill pan on the stove.

3.   While your grill is heating, put together the avocado salsa and any sides you may be making. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop the insides into a bowl

4.   Roughly mash the avocado. Add the onion, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and garlic powder. Mix well and set aside.


5.   Grill the salmon to your desire. I grilled mine for about 5-7 minutes until flaky.



6. Top the tilapia with the salsa to serve.

These flavors are just so good. I can't even tell you.. go make this soon! It's a wonderful summer dish.

Until next time...   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF