Thursday, September 3, 2015

Garbage Chili Recipe

Woah! Calm down, this recipe doesn't contain actual garbage ;) I actually stole this term from Nom Nom Paleo. Basically, it means I threw a bunch of left over stuff together to make a meal. Michelle from NNP uses this idea for stir-fries, but I thought that the same rule could apply to just about anything.

A week ago, we made a TON of Kalua Pork... like so much meat. We ate on it for a couple days, but then it needed a little sprucing up. Most of the ingredients I used in this recipe I had on hand, but I did have to buy a couple things. But it was things like diced tomatoes that cost less than a dollar. It was a quick weeknight meal that also lasted us a long while. Did I mention I love leftovers???




Garbage Chili
serves 6

Ingredients
2-3 cups cooked meat (I used Kalua Pork)
1 cup chopped veggies ( I used bell pepper)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
Salt & Pepper to taste (I used smoked salt & a peppercorn medley)
1 (14.5oz can) diced tomatoes
1 (14.5oz can) crushed tomatoes
1 (15oz can) tomato Sauce
1 (15.5oz can) beans of choice (optional)

Directions
1.   Chop and prepare veggies. Spray Dutch oven with cooking spray, and coat well. Turn burner to medium-high heat.


2.   Cook veggies in coconut oil, until onions start to become translucent. (5 min or so) Add meat and cook until meat is heated through (another 5).



3.   Add spices to the pot and coat contents. Cook until fragrant. (2-3 min)




4.   Add all tomatoes, sauce and beans to pot. Add some water or chicken stock if not watery enough for your liking.



5.   Bring chili to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6.    Serve and enjoy.



Again, get creative with this! You can literally use anything you would like. Have a great holiday weekend!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF