Thursday, June 25, 2015

Hello World!

A few people have requested that I get back to blogging my recipes. I must admit, I'm terrible at keeping up with this kind of stuff, but I would really like to try! I'm going to start out by blogging a couple times a week, and see what you all think. Hopefully, I can turn this site into something that will be both entertaining as well as informative. So here's a little bit about my love of food...

I love food. That's really it! However, like many of us, I can't just eat all of the yummy things without facing the consequences (unlike my husband...but that's a different story). I love to try new things, to taste new things, and to explore different ways to cook the foods I love. For about the last 5 or so years I've been obsessed with healthy cooking. And as of about a year, I've been exploring paleo cooking. I'm not strictly paleo by any means, but I love to eat real, unprocessed food as much as possible. I love the way it makes me feel. I also splurge a bit on the bad stuff sometimes too. I mean I'm human, and sometimes the most unhealthy food is just too delicious not to try. I'm always looking for new recipes to entertain my taste buds.

This site will allow me to share some of my favorite recipes with you! The good, the bad, and the occasionally ugly. ;) I've chosen the name Fit Food Foodie for now. It may end up changing, it may not...stay tuned.

Last weekend, my husband, Jeremy, and I traveled to Farmington, MO (about an hour away from St. Louis) to attend his cousin's wedding. It took place at a beautiful winery there called Twin Oaks. While the weather didn't necessarily cooperate, it was a super fun wedding with great people and delicious food. We were able to visit some of my family while in the area as well! Overall, it was a great time.






However, like any great trip, we overindulged a bit. Okay more than a bit. Needless to say, this week, I was ready to get back to my healthy habits.

Monday's dinner, a definite keeper, was Paleo Plantain Beef Pie from Stupid Easy Paleo. While this recipe took a little bit longer, it was worth the time. Absolutely delicious! Here's the recipe with a couple minor changes:

Paleo Plantain Beef Pie
adapted from Stupid Easy Paleo

Ingredients
  • 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
  • 1 small red pepper (diced)
  • 1 spring onion (diced or chopped)
  • 4 ounce can diced mild green chilis 
  • 1 cup fire-roasted diced tomatoes 
  • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 Tablespoons raisins
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped black olives
  • 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar 
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 4–5 large, slightly ripe plantains (some yellow, some dark spots)
  • Coconut oil for frying
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon water


Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the inside of a round casserole dish with coconut oil and set aside.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the ground beef completely. Lower the heat and to the same skillet, add the red pepper and onion Cook for 4–5 minutes until the veggies are softened.
  3. Add the green chilis, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, rasins, olives, apple cider vinegar, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer for 10 more minutes. While this is cooking, start the plantains.
  4. Peel and slice the plantains into 1/3″ diagonal pieces. If any skin remains, trim it off with a knife.
  5. In another skillet over medium heat, add about 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and begin to brown the plantains in a single layer, about 2 minutes per side. Plantains burn quickly, so make sure to keep a close eye. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
  6. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and water.
  7. Start assembling your pie! In the bottom of the dish, spread a third of the meat / veggie mixture. Place plantains in a single layer on top of the egg. Pour 1/3 of the beaten egg on top. Repeat the layers two more times, ending with egg.
  8. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
This recipe makes great leftovers as well!! Enjoy!!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Print Friendly and PDF